Have You Been Arrested or
Accused of a Crime?
Are You Worried How it Will Affect
For a Free Consultation
What does the Alabama laws say about harassment?
Harassment is a severe offense in Shelby County, Alabama. These offenses can have serious consequences for the victim and can result in harsh sanctions for the offender. It is our responsibility as defense attorneys to give our clients with fair and equitable legal representation.
Code of Alabama 1975
From Code of Alabama 1975 – “HARASSMENT. A person commits the crime of harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, he or she either:
- Strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise touches a person or subjects him or her to physical contact.
- Directs abusive or obscene language or makes an obscene gesture towards another person.
For purposes of this section, harassment shall include a threat, verbal or nonverbal, made with the intent to carry out the threat, that would cause a reasonable person who is the target of the threat to fear for his or her safety.
HARASSING COMMUNICATIONS. A person commits the crime of harassing communications if, with intent to harass or alarm another person, he or she does any of the following:
- Communicates with a person, anonymously or otherwise, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or any other form of written or electronic communication, in a manner likely to harass or cause alarm.
- Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no purpose of legitimate communication.
- Telephones another person and addresses to or about such other person any lewd or obscene words or language.”
Harassment or harassing communications are both Class C misdemeanors in Shelby County Alabama.
Harassment has proliferated in this electronic world. So has the ability to seek out the perpetrators. As with most crimes, there must be intent. In the heat of the moment many rash things can happen. We recognize that harassment may be a complicated subject, and we work closely with our clients to preserve their rights. Please call us for a confidential consultation if you or a loved one has been accused of harassment in Shelby County. With a calm head and hand, Daniel Alexander will represent you. He works diligently for his clients. Call Daniel Alexander, your Shelby County Criminal Attorney, at 205-475-8048.
- MisdemeanorsDisorderly conduct - Trespassing - Simple assault - Petty theft - Public intoxication - Reckless driving
- FelonyMurder - Rape - Robbery - Burglary - Grand theft - Kidnapping
- Drug CrimesPossession of marijuana - Drug trafficking - Possession of drug paraphernalia - Driving under the influence of drugs - Prescription fraud - Manufacturing of illegal drugs
- Traffic CrimesDriving under the influence of alcohol - Reckless driving - Hit and run - Driving with a suspended license - Speeding - Running a red light or stop sign
- Violent CrimesAssault - Battery - Homicide - Domestic violence - Robbery - Kidnapping
- Child AbusePhysical abuse - Emotional abuse - Neglect - Sexual abuse - Abandonment - Endangerment
- Sexual OffensesRape - Sexual assault - Child pornography - Indecent exposure - Prostitution - Sexual exploitation
- Stalking/Aggravated StalkingFollowing someone - Sending unwanted gifts or messages - Showing up uninvited to someone's home or workplace - Threatening harm - Violating restraining orders - Using technology to track someone
- Domestic ViolencePhysical abuse - Emotional abuse - Sexual abuse - Economic abuse - Stalking - Intimidation
- Human TraffickingForced labor - Sexual exploitation - Debt bondage - Organ trafficking - Forced marriage - Child soldiers
- Elder AbusePhysical abuse - Emotional abuse - Financial abuse - Neglect - Sexual abuse - Abandonment
- Sex Offenses by ComputerPossession or distribution of child pornography - Sexting with a minor - Online solicitation of minors - Sexual extortion - Cyberstalking - Identity theft
- Property OffensesBurglary - Robbery - Arson - Vandalism - Trespassing - Fraud
- Theft CrimesGrand theft - Petty theft - Shoplifting - Embezzlement - Identity theft - Carjacking
- HarassmentVerbal abuse - Threats - Stalking - Bullying - Discrimination - Intimidation